Stollen is a traditional German fruit cake eaten usually for Christmas. In this recipe, I've used rum instead of brandy to soak the dried fig and raisin.
6 oz figs, dried, chopped
6 oz raisins, dried
1/2 cup rum, preferably Myer's Rum
1 tbsp orange extract
4 oz whole milk, 100F
2.25 oz all-purpose flour
4 tsp instant yeast
10 oz all-purpose flour
0.5 oz sugar
3/4 tsp salt
zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cardamon
1 large egg
5 tbsp butter, unsalted, room temperature
2 oz water
1/2 cup marzipan
- Combine the ingredients for the fruit mix and allow it to soak overnight.
- For the sponge, place the flour in a medium bowl. Whisk together the warm milk and yeast. Pour the milk into the flour and stir until combined.
- Let the sponge sit for about 1 hour at about 75F. It's ready when it has become very foamy.
- In an electric mixer with a dough hook, stir the flour, sugar, salt, zest, and spices together.
- Add the sponge, egg, butter, and water and allow the mixer to mix until a soft ball of dough forms. When the dough comes together, cover the bowl and let the dough rest for 20 minutes.
- Add in the fruit mix and mix to incorporate.
- Using the mixer, knead the dough for 15 minutes on the lowest speed.
- Transfer the dough into a large oiled bowl. Roll the dough around to coat it with oil. (I like to use olive oil, but any oil will do.) Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Allow the dough to rise to almost double its size.
- Divide the two into 2 pieces. Form each dough into a flat oblong shaped dough, without deflating the dough too much.
- In the middle of each piece, fill a row of marzipan in the middle and wrap the dough around the marzipan and form a crescent shaped loaf.
- Allow the loaves to proof for another hour or so or until the dough is about 1.5x its original size.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Bake the stollen for about 30-40 minutes or until dark brown color.
- Transfer to cooling rack. Brush melted butter on top.
- Dust a a few layers of powdered sugar.
- Enjoy day of or later in the week!