Don't be fooled by the simplicity of this recipe. It's amazing how delicious a little flour, butter, and sugar baked together will be! This classic cookie is a must have for the holidays. Enjoy!
1 1/2 stick of butter (about 6 oz), room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (approximately 270g)
2 tbsp granulated sugar crystals
Preheat the oven to 350F. You will also need a shortbread cookie mold. I've used Nordic Ware's Snowflake Shortbread Pan for this recipe.
- In a mixer with a paddle attachment, mix the butter until it has a consistency of mayonnaise.
- Add the sugar and salt and mix until pale and fluffy. (Medium speed for a couple minutes).
- Mix in the vanilla until combined.
- Add half of the flour and mix on the lowest speed to combine.
- Add remaining flour and mix until just combined. Don't over mix it.
- Remove the dough from the mixer bowl and mold into the cookie pan.
- Form cookies approximately 1/2 inch thick.
- Sprinkle the sugar crystals on the backs of the cookies. Press the crystals into the dough.
- Bake the cookies until pale golden brown. Approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Carefully unmold the cookies and allow them to continue cooling to room temperature on a rack.
- Enjoy in the next couple days. Store in a sealed container at room temperature.