This smooth pistachio marzipan covered with dark chocolate is delicious to say the least.
8 oz pistachios, shelled, whole, untoasted
8 oz almonds, whole, untoasted
12 oz sugar
4 oz light corn syrup
4 oz water
Dark chocolate, melted and tempered, as needed
Toasted, crushed pistachio
- Blanch the nuts in boiling water.
- Remove from heat and soak for 5 minutes.
- Drain the nuts in a large strainer. Transfer the nuts to a heat-proof bowl.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, and water. Cook to 244F.
- Pour the hot syrup over the nuts. Toss thoroughly.
- Pour the nuts onto a silicone baking mat and allow the nuts to cool to room temperature.
- In a food processor, grind the nuts to a fine consistency (or desired consistency).
- Remove the marzipan from the food processor and allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Roll the marzipan to a half inch thick slab on a non-stick surface.
- Spread a layer of dark chocolate over the slab and allow the chocolate to cool to room temperature.
- Once the chocolate is set, turn the slab over. Cut the marzipan into half inch cubes. If the marzipan is too soft to keep its shape, place it in the freezer to solidify.
- Dip each piece of marzipan into dark chocolate and top with a pinch of crushed pistachio as garnish.
- Allow the chocolate to set and cool until room temperature.