I love toffee. It's a quick way to make homemade candy. Make sure you have a candy thermometer as sugar is easy to get wrong (and burn).
16 oz butter
16 oz sugar
3 oz water
1 tsp water
0.5 oz vanilla paste or extract
12 oz chocolate pistoles, preferably Valrhona 70%
12 oz sliced almonds
2 tsp salt
- Bring the butter, sugar, water, and salt to boil in a large saucepan.
- Cook on medium heat to 298F while stirring continuously. I typically devise a wooden spoon with a candy thermometer attached to it (with string and tape), so I can measure the temperature while I stir.
- Immediately remove from heat and pour in the vanilla paste/extract. Stir quickly to combine thoroughly.
- On a silicone baking mat, pour the mixture and spread quickly to the edges before the toffee begins to set.
- Top the toffee with a layer chocolate pistoles. Allow the chocolate to melt.
- Combine the almonds and salt together.
- Once the chocolate has melted, spread an even layer of chocolate over the toffee.
- Sprinkle the almond-salt mixture over the chocolate.
- Allow the toffee and chocolate to cool completely to room temperature.