A quick way to make Halloween fancy is to make these super cute and easy meringue cookies shaped as monsters. I find a foolproof way to make meringue is the Italian method, as opposed to the French method. In the Italian method, you cook the sugar using the standard wet sugar technique to 250F. The French method does not deploy this technique.
1/2 cup water
1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
6 egg whites
You'll also need a candy thermometer for this recipe.
Preheat the oven to 210F.
- In an electric mixer with a whisk attachment and a clean, dry bowl, begin whisking the egg whites on high speed. Whip until stiff peaks.
- While the whites are whipping, bring the water and sugar in a medium saucepan to a boil on medium high heat.
- Keep heating the sugar until it reaches 250F, then immediately remove from the heat.
- By now, the whites should have stiff peaks. While the mixer is still whipping on medium speed, gradually pour a steady stream of sugar into the whipped whites.
- Continue to whip on medium speed until the mixer bowl is about body temperature (no longer hot to touch).
- The meringue is now ready to use. The meringue is good for a few days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. With a little meringue and blow torch, this sugary form is versatile in dressing up any dessert!
- Shape the meringue into any form you like, in our case, we made ghosts and Mike Wazowski!
- Bake for 2 hours. Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container for a few days.