This is a luxurious holiday cake. The ingredients are simple and wholesome, but what makes this cake special is the care you take to make it. The crumb is delicate and if you eat enough, you may enter your happy zone! :)
You will need a large 15-cup capacity Bundt cake pan for this recipe.
For the Cake:
4 sticks + 2 tbsp butter, room temperature
560g granulated sugar
1 tbsp butter, room temperature for greasing the pan
20g granulated sugar for dusting the pan
470g almond flour, finely ground
150g all-purpose flour
11 large eggs
1/3 cup Bacardi 151 Rum
Rum Syrup (for brushing the cake)
3 tbsp Bacardi 151 Rum
3 tbsp simple syrup (equal parts sugar + water brought to a boil to dissolve the sugar crystals)
180g powdered sugar
1 tbsp Bacardi 151 Rum
2 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- In a large bowl, whisk the almond flour and AP flour together. Set aside.
- Grease the cake pan and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Once the butter has solidified, sprinkle an even coat of sugar on the butter.
- In an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter until it has a consistency of mayonnaise and holds a peak. Heat the sides of the bowl with a blow torch if necessary (use short bursts). Scrap the sides and bottom as necessary.
- Add the sugar and continue beating for about 7 minutes or until light and fluffy consistency. Scrap the sides and bottom as necessary.
- On the lowest speed, add 3 eggs and mix for 10 seconds.
- Add 4 eggs, mix for 10 seconds.
- Add the remaining 4 eggs and mix for 10 seconds. The mixture will not look well combined, but that is okay. You don't want to over mix the eggs.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 batches. Mixing 15 seconds each time.
- Remove 1 cup of batter and mix well with 1/3 cup of rum. Fold this mixture back into the rest of the batter. Be careful not to over mix.
- Pour the cake batter into the cake pan. Tap and jiggle to distribute the batter evenly.
- Bake until until golden brown and a toothpick come out clean. This may take from an hour to 1.5 hour, depending on your oven.
- Allow the cake to cool for 20 minutes before un-molding. While the cake is cooling, make the Rum Syrup by simply combining the rum and simple syrup.
- After un-molding onto a cooling rake, evenly brush the cake with the rum syrup. Allow the cake to cool another 10 minutes.
- While the cake is soaking the rum syrup, make the rum icing. Sift the powdered sugar and mix with rum and water. The icing will be a bit thick. You can add more water for your desired consistency.
- Pour the rum icing over the cake and allow it to run down the sides of the cake.
- Allow the cake to continue to cool until it hits room temperature, 4-6 hours. This also allow the rum to evaporate more. The cake will be highly alcoholic if eaten immediately after brushing, so indulge with care. :)