This is a classy, yet fast & simple dish for a tasty weeknight dinner. When picking chanterelle mushrooms, go for the small ones. If you don't have chanterelle, porcini would do well in this recipe.
1 lb chanterelle mushrooms, fresh
1 pinch oregano, fresh minced
1 pinch nutmeg
1 pinch black pepper, freshly crushed
6 oz egg pasta
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 clove garlic, finely minced
1 stick butter
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
salt to taste
- Wash and clean the chanterelle mushrooms. Cut into bite-size chunks.
- Cook the pasta according to its package instructions. Add salt to the cooking water to flavor the pasta.
- While the pasta is cooking, brown the butter in a saute pan on medium high heat.
- Saute the garlic and onion until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the spices and the mushrooms. Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes and salt to taste.
- Drain the pasta in a colander and add the pasta to the mushrooms in the saute pan.
- Turn off the heat and toss the pasta with Parmesan cheese. Salt to taste.
- Garnish with oregano blossoms or chives. Serve immediately while hot.