Perfect party appetizers or just as a light lunch. I've opted to use deli slices as the wrapping outer layer instead of tortilla to keep it paleo. In particular, I've used the hickory smoked Tofurky deli slices. Of course, non-vegan deli slices would work too. Skip the Stilton cheese to keep this recipe 100% vegan.
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp thyme, dry
1 onion chopped
1 box button mushrooms, sliced
3 clove garlic, minced
2 packs Tofurky smoked hickory deli slices
5 oz Stilton cheese
1/2 bunch basil, fresh
1 tomato, sliced
3 Serrano peppers, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil on medium high heat in a frying pan.
- Once the oil is starting to smoke a bit, turn the heat to medium and add the thyme, onion, and garlic and saute until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and season to taste.
- Cook the mushrooms until most of the moisture has been cooked off. Take it off the heat.
- Mise en place to make assembly quick and easy.
- Using a Silpat or a large sheet of plastic wrap, lay down an overlapping layer of deli slices.
- Lay down rows of each of the following ingredients: Stilton cheese, saute mushrooms, basil, tomato slices, Serrano slices.
- Carefully roll up the ingredients as tightly as possible. Be careful not to rip the deli slices as you roll it.
- Slice the roll into 1/2 inch rounds.
- Refrigerate for later or serve immediately. You can optionally drizzle some olive oil and balsamic vinegar on top of the pinwheels.