Savory and sweet beans make for a great English style breakfast. Serve it with toast with butter, a fried egg, and some orange juice! Finish with a nice scone and some tea. :)
This recipe requires a bit of planning and waiting, but it's really easy. Plan to make this two days ahead of eating.
2 cup navy beans, dry
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 onions, diced
1/2 cup butter
2 tbsp mustard
3 tbsp molasses
2 cup tomato puree
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 L of water (you may need to adjust)
salt to taste
- The night before making this dish, soak the beans in salt water. The salt water helps to break down the bean's outer coating.
- In a large pot, brown the butter on high heat for a few seconds.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the diced onions and minced garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes until the onions have begun to soften.
- Add the soaked beans along with its soaking liquid into the large pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the pot and bring to a boil.
- Take the pot off the heat and transfer to a slow-cooker.
- Slow cook for 8-10 hours. I like to let it go overnight and wake up to the delicious smell of baked beans!
- Serve for breakfast with toast, butter, fried egg, and OJ! Salt and pepper to taste.