The mulling spice really complements the rum in this luscious dessert. This recipe yields 4 servings.
4 pears, whole, peeled, leaving stem intact
about 1 L water
1 cup honey
2 tbsp mulling spice
6 oz. rum
about 12 leaves of fresh sage
- In a large pot, bring the pear, water, honey, and mulling spice to a boil. Be sure the pears are fully covered by water.
- Once at a boil, turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes to 1 hour until the pears are tender by not disintegrating.
- Refrigerate the pears in its poaching liquid.
- To serve the dessert, be sure to chill the rum and serving glasses ahead of time.
- Muddle the fresh sage leaves, saving 4 leaves for garnish, and divide equal amounts into each glass.
- Place one pear in each glass.
- Pour 1 shot (1.5 oz) of rum into each glass.
- Pour 1 shot (1.5 oz) of poaching liquid into each glass.
- Garnish with a whole sage leaf on top of each pear. Enjoy immediately!